This Grilled Caprese Sandwich captures all the fresh flavors of summer. You only need a handful of ingredients and 15 minutes, making it perfect for your next camping trip!
Few things capture the essence of summer quite like grilled tomatoes. Bright, sweet, and slightly smokey.
So why would you settle for a regular Caprese sandwich, when you could have a grilled tomato Caprese sandwich instead!
There are a few tricks to grilling tomatoes at a campground. The first being to clean the grill grate to the best of your ability. A wire brush is a good place to start and then remove the excess soot with a damp rag. Once everything is clean, brush the grill with some oil to keep things from sticking. Finally, you’ll want to cut your tomatoes nice and thick to help them retain their structure.
Note: Some grill grates clean up nicely, but others can be so weathered and rusted that they’re beyond repair. In that case, using a cast iron grill pan over the fire might be your best alternative. Additionally, if you don’t have a campfire available, you can use a grill pan over your camp stove. It’s not quite grilling, but it’s pretty close.
As for the cooking temperature, you should try to cook them fast and hot. The goal is to quickly grill them, not slow roast them. If you go too slow, they’ll get soft and fall apart. While the tomatoes are cooking you can also toast up your baguette as well.
Finally, put it all together with your grilled tomatoes, slices of mozzarella, and either fresh basil or a pesto spread.
With so many fresh seasonal flavors, this sandwich is everything we love about summertime. It’s like taking a bite of sunshine.
More camping lunch ideas
Grilled Caprese Sandwich
- 2-3 ripe tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 6-inch baguettes, sliced in half lengthwise
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced into rounds
- ⅓ cup prepared pesto, or a handful of fresh basil leaves
- Salt + pepper
- Slice the tomatoes into thick rounds and brush with oil. Place onto your grill grate and cook 5 minutes per side, until charred in spots and warmed through. Grill the cut sides of the baguettes if desired.
- To assemble, spread pesto onto the cut sides of the baguettes, then layer the cheese, tomatoes, and basil if using. Sprinkle with salt and pepper & enjoy!