This camping breakfast sandwich has it all: avocado, bacon, toast, and a fried egg. Plus, it can all be made with just a single skillet over a camp stove or campfire.
While we love traditional avocado toast, we might just love this avocado breakfast sandwich even more – especially when we are camping.
Not only do we get twice the creamy avocado goodness in each bite, but it’s loaded with crispy strips of bacon and a gooey fried egg!
And it’s all put together in a portable, hand-held package that’s perfect for eating by the campfire while sipping a cup of camp coffee.
We structured the recipe to make it as simple as possible, while also using just a single skillet. The first step is to fry up some bacon in your skillet. Doing this will render out the fat, which you will use to build the flavor profile of the rest of the sandwich. Once the bacon is done, remove from the skillet and place on a paper towel to drain.
The next step is to use the bacon grease to toast your bread slices. Is this healthy? Hell no! Is it delicious, oh yeah! If your bacon rendered A LOT of fat, you might want to reserve some in a cup off to the side so as not to completely saturate your bread.
While toasting, watch your bread carefully and flip as soon as it starts to toast up. The hot bacon grease really does accelerate the process. Once both sides are toasted, remove and set aside.
Now it’s time to drop in your egg. If you reserved any bacon grease, now’s the time to add it back in. Otherwise, be sure there’s enough oil in the pan so the egg doesn’t stick. While the eggs cooks, you can start working on the avocado.
Cut in half, remove pit, mash-up, and scoop out. Pretty easy. Depending on the size of the avocado, we spread out one half per bread slice. Once the avocado is on, it’s probably time to flip your egg.
Once that’s done, we return to the sandwich and sprinkle on our favorite spice blend Everything But the Bagel from Trader Joe’s. Seriously, we can’t say enough good things about it!
Then layer up the bacon, bring the egg over and you’re done.
This recipe is great for building up a lot of flavors (bacon flavor) very quickly and delivering a fancy brunch-style breakfast sandwich at a fraction of the cost. So the next time you go camping, be sure to bring the avocado and the bacon!
More camping breakfasts
Avocado Toast Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 slices bacon, cut in half
- 2 slices bread
- 1 egg
- 1 avocado
- Salt + pepper
- Optional: pinch of Everything But the Bagel seasoning
- Set a cast iron skillet over your campfire or camp stove. Place the bacon in the skillet and cook over medium-low heat, flipping occasionally, until crispy. Remove and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Toast/fry the bread in the skillet, flipping after about a minute so that both sides are browned. Remove and set aside.
- If needed, add a bit more fat to the skillet. Crack an egg into the skillet and cook to your liking.
- To assemble the sandwich, slice the avocado in half, scoop out the middle, and mash it on both slices of bread. Layer the bacon on one side, the egg on the other, and season with salt & pepper.