Breakfast in a bag, this granola and milk combination is a great way to start a day on the trail. Just add water!
Whether you’re backpacking or just need something fast to eat in the morning, packing a couple of baggies filled with granola and powdered milk is a great breakfast trick.
Of course, you could use any store-bought granola as well, but our recipe captures the essence and flavor of autumn.
Toasted oats, crunchy pecans, and sweet sweet maple syrup. Just add water, mix, and you’ve got a bowl of cereal ready to go.
Why it’s great for backpacking
- Can be made and assembled ahead of time, for a quick and easy breakfast on the trail.
- Uses nonperishable ingredients that won’t spoil over the course of your trip.
- Comes with a built-in bowl!
Equipment and ingredient notes
- Obviously, this recipe will work with any type of resealable zip lock bag, but if you’re trying to be more eco-conscious, BioBag makes great biodegradable sandwich bags.
- We used powdered milk for this recipe–Nido is the choice of many backpackers since it packs in a lot of calories. What may not work, however, is powdered coconut milk. Powdered coconut milk requires warm, nearly hot water in order to properly mix–so if you prefer your granola served with icy cold milk, you’ll want to stick to the regular variety. However, if you’re lactose intolerant or vegan, coconut milk and warm water will work (and is a nice combo on a chilly morning).
More backpacking breakfasts
- Apricot Ginger Oatmeal
- Blueberry Coconut Oatmeal
- Coconut Chocolate Granola
- Raspberry Coconut Quinoa Porridge
- Dehydrated Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Porridge
Pecan and Maple Granola in a Bag
- At Home: Preheat oven to 325. In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients except the powdered milk and stir to thoroughly combine. Spread the mixture on a lined baking sheet. You'll want the oat mixture to be fairly compact so it has a chance to form clumps - we only used about 1/3 of a standard baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning the pan around (but not stirring the granola) halfway through so it cooks evenly. Once the granola is golden brown, remove from the oven and allow it to cool completely. Break the granola into small clumps.
- Split the granola between two resealable bags and add 1 tablespoon powdered milk to each.
- At Camp: Add water (about 1/3 cup or 3 oz), stir to combine with the powdered milk. Enjoy!
Equipment Needed at CampSpoon
Equipment Needed at HomeMeasuring cups & spoons