This bold and exciting Mexican street corn salad-inspired slaw is a quick and easy campfire side dish to support your main course.
When we think of camping food, we tend to focus pretty heavily on the stars of the show. Like the Southwestern Burgers, Baja Fish Tacos, or Lentil Sloppy Joes. But these stars need support. They need sides. Even the most amazing main course will look lonely and out of place sitting by itself on a big empty plate.
“But the main course was hard enough to pull off out here in woods! Now you’re telling me I need to make a side too?” you’re quite probably be saying to yourself. Yes. Sides are critical if you’re not making an all-inclusive one pot meal (and even then a side never hurts to extend the meal!). But thankfully we have a quick and easy side that is guaranteed to fit the bill. The answer is this Mexican Street Corn Slaw.
The idea for this slaw came to us after we shot our grilled elote recipe. (After all, four cobs of corn is a lot to eat for just two people.) So we figured why not combine all of these amazing flavors with some chopped red cabbage and turn it into a spicy, smoky, campfire slaw?
Making this side is similar to making Mexican street corn. First, throw some corn on the campfire grill until it gets nice and charred. Meanwhile, chop up some thin slices of red cabbage and blend together some mayonnaise with chili powder (or hot sauce). When the corn is done, cut off the kernels with a sharp knife. Toss the corn in with the cabbage, dress with the spicy mayo, sprinkle in Cotija cheese, some cilantro, and a squeeze of lime. Toss around until evenly coated and that’s it. You’re done!
By adding in the warm grilled corn, this slaw feels a lot more exciting that a standard bag of mixed greens or store bought coleslaw. So don’t let your main course go out there solo. Give it some support with this delicious and easy Mexican street corn slaw.
Mexican Street Corn Slaw
- 2 ears of corn
- ½ small red cabbage, thinly sliced (or 2 cups shredded red cabbage)
- ½ cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Cotija cheese
- 1 lime
- Prep the corn by peeling the husks back (without detaching them from the bottom) and remove all of the silk. Replace the husks.
- Place the corn on a grate over your campfire. Grill, turning frequently until the corn is charred in places and cooked through, 10-15 minutes. Remove from the grill and allow to cool a bit so they are safe to handle.
- While the corn is on the grill, mix the mayo, chili powder and salt together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Once the corn has cooled and is safe to handle, remove and discard the husks. Cut the kernels off the cob and place in a large bowl with the red cabbage and cilantro.
- Toss the corn, cabbage, and cilantro with the chili mayo and the Cotija cheese until everything is evenly coated. Finish with a squeeze of lime and then serve!
EQUIPMENT NEEDEDSharp knife + cutting board
Measuring cups + spoons
Plates + utensils for serving
Nutrition (Per Serving)
Tis’ the season!
If you’re looking for the perfect gift for a camper, hiker, or outdoors-loving person on your list, you’ve hit the jackpot! We have a gift guide for everyone, so take a look and find the perfect gift.