Sometimes at the end of a long day of adventuring, all you want is an easy, cheap, healthy meal that comes together fast. Contributors Kira & Brendon Hak share one of their favorite budget meals – a simple stir-fry with fresh veggies & noodles.
A common concern among travellers is maintaining a healthy diet. When constantly on the move it can be easy to let your guard down and submit to convenient comfort food. We do not suggest cutting comfort food completely out of the picture, as it can be a great reward after some strenuous exercise or just a morale boost when elements are against you! However, too much of this in a row can leave you feeling rather guilty. Our solution was adding stir-fry to the menu.
There are endless variations to a stir-fry, so you rarely have the excuse of not being able to find the required ingredients. Adding to this, it can be as simple or complex as you have time or energy for. Some of the ingredients in this recipe are items we always have on hand, such as coconut oil, hot sauce, and assorted spices.
Stir-frys are a great way to fill up while getting more than your usual daily vegetable intake. As an added bonus, this meal costs less than $10 to make (give or take depending on protein choice) and can serve up to 4. Enjoy!
15 Minute Stir Fry
- 1 (12 oz) mixed veggie pack
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small-medium beef steak, (or chicken, pork, prawns, tofu!)
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 6-8 oz noodles of choice, (Instant ramen noodles, Udon, or soba will work)
- Steam veggies in a pot until tender crisp and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pot and add meat.
- While meat is cooking add minced garlic, soy sauce, garlic powder, dried parsley, chilli flakes, salt & pepper.
- When meat is cooked through, pour juices over the steamed veggies and stir. Cover meat and set aside.
- Prepare noodles as per package directions.
- Serve noodles in a bowl or on a plate, top with veggies and meat. Add hot sauce, plum sauce and/or soy sauce for added flavour. Kira likes to add just plum sauce for a little sweetness and Bren usually opts for all 3.
Nutrition (Per Serving)
Tis’ the season!
If you’re looking for the perfect gift for a camper, hiker, or outdoors-loving person on your list, you’ve hit the jackpot! We have a gift guide for everyone, so take a look and find the perfect gift.