A light and bright start to your morning, this greek yogurt bowl with toasted oats and fresh fruit is a beautiful way to greet the day.
While staying at The Holidays, we had access to two things we normally have to forgo while traveling: refrigeration and fresh California produce. True, we could carry a cooler, but perpetually melting ice is not really our jam. They’re great for shorter camping trips, but they’re really not a sustainable option for long-term travel. As for produce, we’ve eaten great fruits and vegetables all over the country, but what you can get in California is on a whole different level. So during our stay here we wanted to make a recipe that capitalized on both.
Greek Yogurt was one of our go-to breakfasts before our trip, so now that we had a mini-fridge to keep it cold (of course a regular cooler would have worked as well), we picked up a container from Trader Joe’s. We could happily eat yogurt on its own, but the toppings are what makes it fun. So we gathered up an assortment of fresh fruits to add as well.
To give the yogurt some texture, we thought it would be a good idea to toast up some oats and quinoa. This step sounds easy, but does require a little finesse. When cooking with a super hot cast iron, it can be easy to cross the line between lightly toasted and totally scorched – we should know, because we crossed it a couple times before getting it right. Basically, you’re going for just shy of toasted. Or perhaps par-toasted. (We’re not sure if that’s a legitimate term or not.) Just enough to take the rawness away, but not so much that you risk burning it. When done right, it’s a beautiful thing.
After we finished toasting, we combined the fruit, toasted oats and quinoa, and yogurt into a bowl, and drizzled it with our favorite camping sweetener – maple syrup. Layered together, it’s a heaping bowl of sweet and tangy freshness. Something you can’t help but smile after taking your first bite.
If could pack all the sunny, beachy vibes of Southern California into one breakfast bowl, this would be it.
Yogurt Bowl with Toasted Oats, Peaches, and BlueberriesPRINT RECIPE
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon quinoa uncooked
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 yellow peach pitted and sliced
- 1/2 package blueberries
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- MAKE THE TOPPING: Toast the oats in a heavy bottomed skillet (cast iron works well) over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. Once the oats are just beginning to turn golden, add the quinoa and cook an additional minute, just until the quinoa begins to make a popping sound. Remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl or plate to prevent the residual heat from scorching the oats.
- ASSEMBLE THE BOWLS: Scoop one cup of yogurt into each bowl. Drizzle 1 tablespoon maple syrup over each bowl. Top with the peaches, berries, and toasted oats. Serve immediately.